Chris Phillips
Chris
Qty on hand showing too many digits
Posted: Aug 02, 2016   
Votes
Phill Norrey
Phill
Replied 

Standard QAD uses a "floating Decimal Point" type of display.  You can see this if you look at the database definitions.  for example for the in_qty_oh field it is set up as ->>,>>>,>>9.9<<<<<<<<

This means that even if you have only full units it will always display at least one character after the DP.  If you are using NetUI you can change the browse to not display like this.  For example if you only wanted say 3 DP then you could change the display to be ->>,>>>,>>9.99.

If you wanted that in reports you would need to specifiy that format in the report program.

Replied: Aug 02, 2016
Votes
Francis Malengier
Francis
Replied 

Hi,

in the Entity parameters (Entity Modify), there is a parameter Decimals for Quantity.

Maybe this one can help you ? Be carefull with it, because we had issues in the receiving part. Some of our raw materials have meter as a base unit of measure , but purchase order and receiving is done in kg. We had to increase the 'Decimals for quantity' because we had rounding errors.

kr,
Francis

Replied: Aug 16, 2016
Votes
Chris Phillips
Chris
Replied 

The main reason I ask is because our manufacturing floor uses Eagle to scrap this amount.  The problem is Eagle only displays 2 decimal places, even though QAD knows there is more.  So for a QAD quantity of 1.236789KG, Eagle will only display a rounded amount of 1.24KG.  When you attempt to scap that amount in Eagle (1.24KG), Eagle presents you with an error that it's the incorrect amount for that part.  Eagle is correct, it is the incorrect amount.  But it's kind of hard to scrap an amount when Eagle won't dispay a number that big.  

So obviously this is an Eagle issue.  However, I'm trying to attack this from QAD first, trimming as many digits as possible (if possible) before I move on to try and fix Eagle.  In this case, QAD is caculating this amount in the Production Structure Maintenance section, everytime we make a part.  It's a calculated value of our ingredients (which is a powder) used in making a part.  We run out of actual powder before QAD does, due to small amounts of powder (ingredients) being lossed through it's handling.  So when we physically run out of powerder, QAD still will say we have a minute amount.  

My hope was to trim back the number of decimals used in QAD, then work with Eagle to have them expand the number of decimals displayed when we're looking at this inventory item.  That way when we scrap it, we're scrapping the exact amount QAD is seeing.  

I'm changing our calculations on our parts to only calculate out to the 4 decimal place, which is sufficient for our Quality standards.  Eagle is working with me with a workaround to scap these quantities.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured I needed to explain in more detail what we're doing.

Chris

Votes
Phill Norrey
Phill
Replied 

How are you using Eagle to scrap the amount?  If you did it as a cycle count and set the type to R (Recount) then set the qty counted to ZERO, you would not need to bother about the number of decimal places.

FYI to go along the route you are talking would be huge because of the number of programs in QAD that would be affected if you made that type of change

Votes
Chris Phillips
Chris
Replied 

We don't have them doing Cycle Counts because we want to keep track of material costs for our scrap, even though it's a very small amount of powder.  (This decision is driven by our accounting dept.)  

We have our users using the IBL or IBI screens in Eagle to find out the quantity that needs to be scrapped.  Then they go to the SCP screen to scrap that amount.  But the IBL/IBI screens don't show the exact amount that QAD sees, rather it rounds it to the nearest 100th.  One idea was to give them access to QAD so they could pull up a custom browse to see this amount.  I'm fighting that pretty hard though.  Eagle has continued to tell us to do a Cycle Count as well, but we really don't want any of our production users to have access to do this as we fear they'll use it as a crutch to fix other issues with inventory.  

Eagle has come back saying they can add an "ALL" option to the SCP screen, but our end users would need to pay attention to the Qty on the "Ok to Post?" prompt when they use this new process, making sure it's the correct amount (which ironically does show all the decimal places.)

Another option we're working on is developing a web based dashboard for all of our production workcenters.  This would be a simple, but powerful webpage that pulls all of the pertinent data from the QAD server, including the quantity of powder that QAD is reporting for that work center.  (Hoping this goes live next month.)

(As you can probably tell, we're still pretty green when it comes to QAD.  We went live back on March 1st of this year.)

-Chris

Replied: Aug 17, 2016
Votes
Phill Norrey
Phill
Replied 

Well I am certainly not green at QAD (26 years and counting !) but I am not as familiar with Eagle.

So you are trying to record the amount of scrap by W/O?

But before you change anything you really need to understand the huge difference between a display and actual.  To modify QAD to only use say 4 dp for the inventory would be unbelievably complicated including a full recompile of your system.  I have often complained about this very thing especially when you use scrap and yield.

So even changing the display on Eagle would not help unless it was as detailed as QAD, so their option for "ALL" might be a good one.

Remember that every inventory transaction is fully monitored in QAD anyway so you will always be able to see who did it.  Perhaps what you could do is make sure the "ALL" option can only work if previous issues have been made of the component and that the number calculated as the "ALL" is say less than 2% of the original required Qty.  Don't know enough about your business to really detail how this could work but there would be ways of building in features to ensure they don't post the wrong amount.

Replied: Aug 18, 2016
Votes
Paul Antokol
Paul
Replied 

Modifying either QAD or Eagle is a HUGE mistake that you don't need to make. If you cannot use Eagle to zero out your balance than give a treusted user access to equivilent QAD menu and use it to zero out the quantity. This is a much lower risk and less intrusive solution than changinging code. Changing code should be the absoluite LAST resort. 

Replied: Aug 24, 2016
Votes
Raymond Chin Kwie Joe
Raymond
Replied 
To solve the discrepancy between financial reporting and logistical stock keeping, we often make them "independant". With an "issue policy = no" item, backflush will be only financial. To report the real stock qty there is no other option then to really "count on location". I would advise to re-consider the cycle counting option. It will make the FINANCIAL difference between "real inventory  consumption"  and "theoretical consumption" (=BOM) FINANCIALY measurable. The accounting department will be MORE happy since they can now see the MONEY difference!
Replied: Sep 05, 2016
Votes
Raymond Chin Kwie Joe
Raymond
Replied 
you can control inventory with a kan-ban.
Replied: Sep 05, 2016
Forums
All
Forum Help
Help Using Forums