Peter
Journal Entry Template Modify
Posted: Apr 08, 2020   
Votes
Andrea Haines
Andrea
Replied 

Hi Peter,

Please use Journal Entry Transient Modify to update Journal Entry Templates. The JE templates should be sitting in a transient layer (ie attached to a transient daybook) and therefore should be able to be modified using Journal Entry Transient Modify. 

Replied: Apr 08, 2020
Votes
Peter Duffield
Peter
Replied 

Andrea

Thanks for replying.  Not sure why, but I'm getting a "No records found" message.

First message was a Browse Time-out, so I tried limiting the search by the Year the template was created and got the no records found message.

Thoughts?

Pete

Votes
Andrea Haines
Andrea
Replied 

Hi Peter,

Could you try searching on the daybook code that is used in the templates?

Secondly, could you explain how the templates were created? Specifically what screen was used and what layer the daybook code is in for these templates. 

Thanks!

Votes
Peter Duffield
Peter
Replied 

Unfortunately I get a Browser Timeout message again.

I believe most were setup through Joural Entry Create.  Most of the Daybook Codes are JE (Journal Entry).  When entering a journal entry we can change the amounts that populate, but we want to change the template allocation so we don't have to manually modify.

We have a few with Daybook Code SM (Matching Daybook).  I'll have to check with my staff on how these were setup.

Pete

Votes
Andrea Haines
Andrea
Replied 

Hi Peter,

You may be getting a browse timeout if you're searching for "All" records. When you open the Journal Entry Transient Modify screen, try to hit "Cancel" at the top, then ensure you have "Records Per Page" set to "100" (this is below the search criteria filters). Then click "Search" again and see if the system can retrieve 100 records. 

The recommended approach to using JE templates is to store the JE templates in the transient layer. That means when you create the templates, select a transient layer Daybook. If you do this, then the templates can be modified at any time because they're in a transient layer. If you create JE templates based on a journal entry that sits in the Management or Official layer these templates cannot be modified because they're based on the original JE, which can't be modified. 

When creating a new JE template I would use Journal Entry Transient Create to create a JE template (select a transient layer daybook, check the "Save As Template" box and populate the template code box to give the template a name, enter the JE lines in the grid) It's recommended that all JE templates have the same daybook code and that the daybook code is unique for JE templates. Oftentimes the daybook is called "TEMP" and all JE templates are linked to the TEMP daybook code for ease of use. 

You can create a JE using a JE template by using Journal Entry Create and selecting any daybook. Enter the JE template code in the "Use Template" field to employ the template. 

When modifying a JE template, use Journal Entry Transient Modify. Locate the template & update the JE grid details as needed. 

I hope this helps!

Votes
Peter Duffield
Peter
Replied 

All our template are in the Offical layer.  I'll have to go about creating in the Transient layer.

While they would be in a different layer, I assume it'll be a problem using the same Template Code (name)?

Thanks,

Pete

Votes
Andrea Haines
Andrea
Replied 

Hi Pete,

Yes, I believe Template codes need to be unique. You could add an "A" or "B" or "1", etc to the end of the existing codes if there's room and learn to use those. 

Good luck! Let me know if you have any other issues!

Best,

Andrea

Forums
All
Forum Help
Help Using Forums