David Langschied
David
How can I get the usage for a component in a top level product structure
Posted: Dec 18, 2019   
Votes
Phill Norrey
Phill
Replied 

I assume you are talking about a multi level BOM.  If that is the case you would need to create a custom report that is almost like a mini MRP.  It would need to keep looping through the bom until all components are "P" or there are no more levels.  We did something very similar to this at a company I worked at years ago.  But they wanted to do what if calculations and only blow down to another level if there was not enough inventory of one of the components

Replied: Dec 19, 2019
Votes
David Langschied
David
Replied 

How did you address the quantity per at each level?  I looked at the product structure and where used inquiry programs, but in neither one was there a clear path to retaining the parent qty per for a component where the parent item has a qty per other than 1.  If it were always only the next/prev level parent/comp qty per it would be easy, but there may be a qty per for another level.'

Level 1:Par1 - Qty 1

Level 1:Comp1 - Qty 2

Level 2:Comp1 - Qty 1

Level 3:Comp2 - Qty 0.132

Level 3:Comp2 - Usage 0.264

It is an interesting problem that the developer in me likes, but the time that I have to pursue this is limited.

That is the rub!

Replied: Dec 20, 2019
Votes
Phill Norrey
Phill
Replied 

As I said.  What we did was similar.  Based on the product sctructure component availability inquiry where we would say we need 10 of the finished item for example, but then if we did not have enough inventory of a component it would then break that down based on the shortage.  However, it did NOT aggregate components if they were used in more than one place it would just keep going until it had all the purchased items.  In your case you might was to create a report that is based on BOM but treat every manufactured part as a "phantom" in your code so that it would keep blowing down until it got to the bottom level.  You would need to then sum iup all the usage of each component

Replied: Dec 29, 2019
Votes
David Langschied
David
Replied 

I had a similar issue where we had a disred make quantity.  I was able to go level by level and find shortages and report each level shortage.  This is a little different in that I am not looking for purhcased parts only that I need to know what I am short.

I ended up only looking at the parent of the purchased component.  I may end up getting back to this, but I have enough for the current request.  I was going to go down the MRP path, but have not gotten to that, yet.

Replied: Jan 03, 2020
Forums
All
Forum Help
Help Using Forums